Why I Believe John 15:6 is Proof of the Perseverance of the Saints


Critics of eternal security and Antinomians tend to misinterpret the verse. One interpretation is of loss of salvation. Another interpretation is that it means that a person simply loses rewards. 1 Corinthians 3:15 says there's saved by fire or loss of rewards. However, the way John 15:6 writes it is not about a loss of reward. Rather, it's all about fake converts or those who are considered Judas Iscariot branches. It's pretty much an acid test of true conversion against a false conversion.

John 15:1-11 is the whole context of the verse. Let's try and study the verses to see the context of this verse:

I am the true vine, and My Father is the Husbandman. 2 Every branch in Me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, He purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. 3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in Me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in Me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing. 6 If a man abide not in Me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If ye abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. 8 Herein is My Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be My disciples. 9 As the Father hath loved Me, so have I loved you: continue ye in My love. 10 If ye keep My commandments, ye shall abide in My love; even as I have kept My Father's commandments, and abide in His love. 11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. 
11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. 12 This is My commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. 13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14 Ye are My friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of My Father I have made known unto you. 16 Ye have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in My name, He may give it you.

Verse 2 actually tells you two types of branches - the branches that bear no fruit and the branch that bears fruit. What does God the Father do with the branches that bear fruit? They are purged so they bear more fruit. Matthew 7:14-20 warns that by their fruits that they will be known. Hebrews 12:5-7 says that God chastises His own. God gets rid of those who aren't His own while He chastises His own. Pruning is done to improve fruit-bearing quality. One can interpret it as disciplinary measures. Discipline isn't only done to correct bad behavior but also to enhance good behavior. There is a reward and punishment system. A good boss rewards good work and punishes bad work. Even pagan bosses can do that so how much more the Heavenly Father? 

Meanwhile, the useless branches are identified and thrown out. What are these useless branches? You can look at them as those that abide not in Jesus. The proof of eternal security is not in that one moment in time you said a prayer, it's not only in the moment you repented of sin but also of continued repentance and in good works. Some Christians can be inconsistent in their good works so they need chastising. Some Christians can slide back to bad habits especially in difficult circumstances so they need chastising. God doesn't save sinners and leave them without any strength. Instead, God's grace is the enabler to do real good works (Titus 2:11-14).

The acid test of true conversion is when Jesus says, "You are My friends if you do whatsoever I command you." True salvation results in obedience. There's no way that a person can be saved and still remain the same. It's a lie from the pits of Hell as much as in saying that one's own works will save you from Hell. The real rest really results in true obedience. This doesn't mean sinless perfection but that if you're saved then there ought to be some change. If God sees even the slightest fruit - He knows what He will do to make that person fruitful even if He has to put that person under very difficult circumstances to get better. True conversion results in obedience. Jesus in John 10:27 shows another mark of true conversion is obedience. Hebrews 5:9 says that Jesus became the author of eternal salvation to those who obey Him. Obedience may not be the root of salvation but it certainly is the fruit of salvation.

Granted, John was the one who recorded it under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. 1 John 2:19 shows the marks of a false convert. It shows that many who acted were saved, those who left, were never truly saved. John 6:66 also shows the problem of the fake disciples leaving before Judas Iscariot finally became the biggest traitor of them all. The one whom Jesus was talking to were the 11 who were given unto Him (John 17:12). John would've fully still had a recollection of what he wrote under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit when he wrote his three epistles before writing the Book of Revelation or the Apocalypse of John. 

My conclusion is that John 15:6 is not proof you can lose your salvation. I used to believe that one can lose your salvation by no longer believing in Jesus. It seems to suggest that a person can stop trusting Jesus and go back to trusting their good works. However, a better examination of Scriptures will show that true salvation and true faith in Christ continues. Such people who are fake branches are fake followers.

See also: