My Growing Understanding of What It Means to be Not Under Law but Under Grace

I admit that the term "not under Law but under grace" can be very confusing and requires further study. I always thought of the number of times David sang about the Law of God in Psalms. David delighted in the Law of God. Paul delighted in God's Law after the inward man in Romans 7:22. I was thinking that being under Law means an elevated understanding of God's Law.

The Greek word for under is hupo. Strong's definition writes it as:
a primary preposition; under, i.e. (with the genitive case) of place (beneath), or with verbs (the agency or means, through); (with the accusative case) of place (whither (underneath) or where (below) or time (when (at)):--among, by, from, in, of, under, with. In the comparative, it retains the same general applications, especially of inferior position or condition, and specially, covertly or moderately.

All people are under the inferior position of the Law. Romans 3:19 says that all must shut their mouths and be revealed guilty before God. I was wondering should the translators put "under condemnation" in italics. Granted, the translators of the King James Version (KJV) used italics to help as a study guide. To be under the law is to be under its condemnation. I want to put the words in italics or brackets that says condemnation because that's all the law does to lost sinners. For the Christian, God's Law is something they love and delight in under grace. The lost unsaved man is under the condemnation of God's perfect Law.

Reading through Galatians 5 displays the works of the flesh vs. the works of the Spirit. Verse 21 really strikes the strong warning that such people have no inheritance in God's kingdom. 1 Corinthians 6:10-11 warns that the unrighteous shall not inherit God's kingdom. The bigger problem kicks in when you realize Romans 3:10-19 says we've all been unrighteous. That's what it means to be under the Law. All you can do is to be condemned by the law. The Greek word "hupo" would have anybody in under inferior position or condition with the Law. To be under the Law is to be under its condemnation. All you can do is either give in to the Law's demands or try to keep it but still fail miserably.

So what does it means not to be under Law but under grace? It doesn't mean that Christians can do what they want. Such stupidity is Antinomianism. Rather, my understanding as I was still young in the faith is that any good works that come out are by the results of true grace. Romans 3:31 says that the law is not made void by faith but established by it. Titus 2:11-14 says that true grace begets good works. Ephesians 2:8-10 says that true salvation equips the saved unto good works. I remembered doubting my salvation because of my slow spiritual growth and struggle with immaturity. Then I realize that when I ended up doing good works that the more I just don't want to take credit for it. When I do, I do feel chastising deep within and without. When I sin, I do get punished but I'm still part of the family of God. An earthly father may disown but not the Heavenly Father. This grace leads towards right living better than what the Law can do. The Law is now there for the believer to help in growth. Yet, it's faith that fulfills the Law and not the Law that fulfills the Law. Instead, faith produces works that would help Christians keep the Law.

The Law is no longer terrifying to the Christian but instead is viewed as a delight to follow. It would be to say that, "I'm no longer under the Law because now I'm directly under the one who wrote the Law. I'm now under God and I follow the Law because I love the one who wrote it!"

See also: