Philippians 3:12-16 - Am I Moving Forward or Am I Still Stuck in the Past?

Philippians 3 has the theme of moving forward. Philippians 3:13-16 remind me of how often I'm guilty of the sin of looking back. Why am I always looking back then the Bible says move forward?

12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. 13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. 16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing. (KJV) 
12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. 16 Only let us hold true to what we have attained. (ESV) 

What does it mean to be perfect here? This doesn't refer to freedom from flaws. I may still be a King James reader but I'd decided that referring to another Calvinist translation (namely the English Standard Version or ESV) can help understand some archaic language. We can consider that the ESV was based on the Revised Version which Charles H. Spurgeon used as a secondary reference. Now, it's time to consider the two parallel translations here state verse 15 with the use of "perfect" for the KJV while using "mature" in the ESV. The call for maturity is more of a state of mind than age and appearance. You might look mature but your mind is still acting like a child. Then there's the statement that if you keep looking back then you can never move forward. That's why I'm discouraged with my act of talking about the past too many times. My guidance counselor fell into sin and was relieved of his responsibility? Well, that taught me not to put him on a pedestal. I didn't enroll in Bible college because I quarreled with someone in public? Well, got to learn to control my temper.

I could be stuck thinking too much about my past achievements and past failures. Some great men fall later in life because they rely too much on their awards and achievements. Many great men in the Bible fell because of that. David committed adultery with a woman young enough to be his daughter. Jehoshaphat a man who drove out idolatry in Judah would later get complacent and form an unholy yoke with Ahab. Peter who thought he would never deny his Lord Jesus ended up doing so. The other is to be stuck in past failures. Peter who fell into disgrace of cowardice was later restored by Jesus back into the pastorate. Some of the best businessmen can also share their failures in their success stories. Some of the people God called into His purpose weren't ideal such as Rahab the harlot, Ruth the Moabite, Matthew the publican, Luke the Greek doctor, and Saul of Tarsus. You can imagine how many failures they had aligned. Yet, God used them. Paul who once stoned Christians was later stoned for being a Christian. Yet, Paul acknowledged that God not only let him reap what he sow but that stoning (yet surviving) was proof that past failures can't stop God from using the worst of men and changing them for the better.

In myself, I think about it that past achievements should mean nothing outside the grace of God. Why should I be intimidated at the wicked people who have materially succeeded? Why should I still be thinking about my bad grades in high school when I ended up making it eventually? Why should I still be concerned about my bad choices in the past when God punished me many times so I can learn from them? Why should I be intimidated at all the stupid insults that were flung at me when I should learn to turn the other cheek? As said, it's good for me to be afflicted so I don't stay in the comfort zone and never mature. Affliction is the only way a Christian can truly practice what Jesus taught about forgiveness and turning the other cheek. Forgiving others and not seeking revenge are indeed marks of moving forward. Yet, it feels so good to stay in the past even when it's not a good thing to do it.

At this point, I think about the need to really focus forward and not backward. Otherwise, how can I really get better if I just continue on what happened rather than how I can improve. True, history must be studied but it's to learn about the past, not to get stuck in the past. Study the past but don't get stuck in it. Learn from the past but never lean on the past. Such lessons are hard especially when the past becomes a comfort zone as moving forward is stepping out of it.

See also: