Am I Allowing Petty Insults From Unbelievers to Get the Best of Me?

"But it hurts! You don't know how hard it is to be insulted!" is a very common thing that rings in my head. The issue of insults is this is that they are always meant to put people down. It really hurts one's own ego. There's always going to be people who will put me down. It's very tempting to get physical and get even but why should I?

Here's what the Bible says about petty insults:
Matthew 5:44 - But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Luke 6:35 - But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
1 Peter 3:9 - Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.

Why is it difficult for me to follow those rules? It's because of the pride of life. The flesh always want to focus on the hurt that happened because of that petty insult. When I feel my ego has been crushed, it's very easy to get tempted to get even, have your revenge, let the other person feel your pain, make him or her suffer, strike him or her down... but that's not what the Bible says. The Bible always tells Christians to love one's enemies. While this doesn't mean condoning wrong but this is a call to rebuke sin out of love and to pray for the person's repentance. 

The model of dealing with insults is Jesus. Jesus suffered all the terrible persecution. Someday, He's going to judge all those who didn't repent of insulting Him but He chose not to immediately judge them. He came for a ministry of reconciliation. He didn't come yet to inflict wrath because it wasn't the appointed time. I've already encountered many insults and sometimes, I just feel like giving up because justice feels slow. 

Here's a quote by Arthur W. Pink that provides such useful insight:
God's Long Suffering 
How wondrous is God's patience with the world today.  On every side people are sinning with a high hand. The Divine law is trampled under foot and God Himself openly despised. It is truly amazing that He does not instantly strike dead those who so brazenly defy Him. 
Why does He not suddenly cut off the haughty infidel and blatant blasphemer, as He did Ananias and Sapphira? (Acts 5:1-10).

Why does He not cause the earth to open its mouth and devour the persecutors of His people, so that, like Dathan and Abiram, they shall go down alive into the Pit? (Numbers 16:1-35). 
And what of apostate Christendom, where every possible form of sin is now tolerated and practiced under cover of the holy name of Christ? 
Why does not the righteous wrath of Heaven make an end of such abominations? Only one answer is possible: because God bears with "much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction." (Romans 9:22). 
God bears long with the wicked notwithstanding the multitude of their sins, and shall we desire to be revenged because of a single injury?

It's true that there will always be false accusations. There will always be people who'll try to stop me from doing what's right. It's very discouraging but it's expected. I should always remember that I never got saved believing I'll have my best life now. I know it's going to hurt. I know it's hard to forgive and overlook insults. Insults are unavoidable but how I respond is what matters more. I can't avoid them but I can choose to graciously turn the other cheek. 

Besides, what does dwelling on the little insult do? It just ruined my testimony when I get mad and start doing what the other person did. Again, why should I even argue with a fool who thinks he or she knows everything? Fools are wise in their own eyes. They're self-deceived. Shouldn't I even start praying for the person instead of getting mad over that petty insult?