How Am I Responding to Petty Insults and Minor False Accusations?

I am wondering with how I've matured with how I'm handling insults and minor false accusations from people. I know these minor false accusations are mostly unsubstantiated so why am I already getting angry over them? This flesh of mine always has this problem that it wants to be praised all the time, it wants the whole world to bow down to it never mind Jesus refused Satan's offer, to have my revenge one way or another and the other part of me wants to please God because God's grace is at work. 

I'm asking myself how am I handling insults and false accusations? It doesn't mean that just because I'm a Christian it's going to be consistently progressive. There's still the flesh to handle. I could still end up with ill thoughts towards people who insult me and wrongfully accuse me. Whenever I lose my temper I always feel this way:
Romans 7:19-25 
For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

I know I'm told to love my enemies and pray for that that persecute me. It's easy to pray for the persecuted but it's very easy not to pray for the well-being of the persecutor. But this is what I'm commanded to do. While I'm told to hate sin but I'm also commanded to love people who are lost in sin.
 Matthew 5:43-48 
Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; that ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? Do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Why I have a hard time loving my enemies is because of pride. I tend to forget it was pride that kicked Satan out of Heaven. It was pride that kept those who died in their sins from receiving Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Just because a person is a Christian doesn't mean there's no pride. Peter once bragged he will never deny Jesus but the results said otherwise. Peter had to be humbled before he could be used effectively. 

What does it mean to turn the other cheek? It doesn't mean neglecting self-defense in times of physical danger. The problem today is that sinful humanity tends to deal with really tiny problems using violence which they misquote and misunderstand what God meant by eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth. It's stupid for the Jews during the Roman occupation to keep hating their colonizers for the use of violence when they themselves are even filled so much hatred. A slap in the face is an idiom for an insult. The Jews were told to love their enemies. I guess that alone caused them to reject Jesus as their Messiah. They wanted a messiah who would drive out the Romans but instead the Messiah told them to love their enemies. It's this kind of pride that made the Jews reject Jesus. 

Here's an insight from Dr. John F. MacArthur on what it means to turn the other cheek:
"Whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also." (Matthew 5:39) 
As human beings we have the right to be treated with basic dignity, respect, and consideration. Because every person is created in His image, God demands that we treat one another with respect. But he knows that we will not always be so treated. Often for the very reason that we belong to God and go by the name of His Son, we will be mistreated, ridiculed, and held in contempt (see Matt. 10:16–23; John 15:18—16:3; 1 Pet. 2:20–21; 3:13–17; 4:12–19; cf. 2 Tim. 3:12). It is the way we react to mistreatment and insult that Jesus is talking about here. 
Among Jews, a slap or other striking in the face was among the most demeaning and contemptuous of acts (cf. Matt. 26:67–68; Mark 14:65; John 18:22). To strike someone elsewhere on the body might cause more physical harm, but a slap in the face was an attack on one’s honor and was considered to be a terrible indignity. It was to be treated with disdain, as being less than a human. Even a slave would rather have been stuck across the back with a whip than be slapped in the face by his master’s hand. 
To strike someone on the right cheek would then be a vicious angry reaction, indicating an act of insult. Yet when we are insulted, maligned, and treated with contempt-literally or figuratively struck on the cheek by someone-we are to turn to him the other also. But Jesus’ point pertains more to what we are not to do than what we are to do. Turning the other cheek symbolizes the nonavenging, nonretaliatory, humble, and gentle spirit that is to characterize kingdom citizens (cf. vv. 3, 5). 
Jesus strongly resisted evil that was directed against others, especially His Father-as when He cleansed the Temple of those who defiled His Father’s house. But He did not resist by personal vengeance any evil directed at Himself. When the leaders of the Sanhedrin, and later the soldiers, physically abused Him and mocked Him, He did not retaliate either in words or in actions (Matt. 26:67–68). As Isaiah had predicted of Him, Christ gave His back to those who struck Him and His cheeks to those who plucked out His beard (Isa. 50:6). As Jesus hung from the cross, He prayed, "Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing." (Luke 23:34). Peter sums up our Lord’s example: "But if when you do what is right and suffer for it you patiently endure it, this finds favor with God. For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps, who committed no sin, nor was any deceit found in His mouth; and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously." (1 Pet. 2:20–23). 
When someone attacks our right to dignity, we too are not to defend that right by retaliation. We are to leave the protection and defense of our dignity in God’s hands, knowing that one day we will live and reign with him in His kingdom in great glory.

I would be stupid to think I could avoid insults and false accusations. If unbelievers themselves aren't immune from them then what makes me think Christians can be exempt from them? If Jesus didn't even avoid them what makes me think that I could avoid them? Besides, am I asking God to avenge me for slight injuries? Am I acting like I'm the only person that the false accuser is hurting? Am I already getting so petty and vindictive that I should start questioning my salvation? It reminded me if some Catholic apologists could be courteous, mature and gentle in defending their side of the fence why am I preaching the Biblical truth with discourtesy, immaturity and harshness? 

I could go ahead and make the stupid accuse that I decided to hit the person for doing wrong to me. But in doing so I am just giving him or her more justification to do what he or she does. On the contrary, the Bible calls to treat people who are mean with kindness. Hitting the offender is fighting fire with fire. You don't put out fires with fire but with water. 
Romans 12:17-21 
Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the LORD. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
1 Peter 3:15-17 
But sanctify the LORD God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ. For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.

On the contrary, treating evil with kindness ends up making people see the error of their ways. It tends to humiliate the arrogant to receive mercy from their enemies. But the motive of doing kindness to them is not revenge but with the hopes of leading them to repentance. While it's not wrong to hand over criminals to be prosecuted by human government (Romans 13:1-3) but it must be done with the motive of making sure justice is served. What's wrong is to take the law into your hands like what Peter did by attacking someone out of haste. While it may not necessarily lead to repentance but it certainly will make them see their wickedness. If I stoop down to their level by insulting them and also making up false accusations against them then I ask myself, "Am I any better with what I do?". 

Why did Christianity spread during persecution? My answer would be because these Christians fought the persecutors with kindness and boldness. They were willing to suffer for their faith and forgive their persecutors. If bloody physical persecution didn't stop my predecessors from loving the worse then why am I getting worked out over minor insults and false accusations? I could only rely on God's grace not to get worked out over petty insults and minor false accusations. Why should I get worked up if the petty insults are just petty insults and if the false accusation wasn't an act of perjury?

See also: