I'm Not Just Reformed, I'm Continuously Reforming

Happy first Sunday of October 2017. It's also the first day of October 2017 which is the 500th anniversary of the Reformation Month. I would like to declare this fact that I'm not just Reformed, I'm continuously Reforming. The more I get into Reformed Theology the more I see that Christianity is subject to continuous reforms according to the Scriptures. What does it mean to be reformed? Reform means to make changes in order to improve it. Reformation is not a way to new Christianity but a way to true Christianity. 

What does it mean that I'm continuously reforming day by day? 
Romans 12:1-3 - I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
2 Corinthians 4:15-17 - For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God. For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
Ephesians 4:22-24 - That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
Titus 3:5 - Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

The truth of salvation from sin is in three tenses. I got saved from sin the moment I received Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. Right now, I'm being saved from sin in my sanctification. In the future, I'll be forever saved from sin in my glorification. Philippians 1:6 that when Jesus begun a good work and He will finish it. I can't claim that I'm once saved always saved while I'm living like the rest of the world. Ephesiasn 2:8-10 says I've been saved and equipped unto good works. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 says that salvation rescues people from a lifestyle of sin. Titus 2:11-14 says that God's grace teaches good works. James 2:14-26 warns that a faith that has no works is a sham faith. True salvation results to good works not as the root but the fruit of salvation. Nobody can ever say they're saved but love sin because you have to choose between sin and the Savior from sin. 

To be reformed daily means that I must struggle with sin and God is my defender. There's a difference between enslaved to sin and struggling with sin. I won't dare say I never sin. I do sin but when I do sin I have no real pleasure from it. I have more pleasure to do the good that God commands and dread the sin that myself tempts me to do. I have power against sin by the grace of God. Alone, I have none of it but when I got saved I'm given power against sin because I have Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. He's my Lord that guides my steps. He's my Savior that saves me from my sin. Romans 7:14-25 talks about how Paul struggled with sin and how God through His Son is the one who provides that remedy. I dread to think of how many times I'm my own worst enemy. I hate to think of the many times I've failed God. But I could have this wonderful comfort that there's the Savior from sin who will help me overcome the obstacles to serve Him as Lord. He doesn't only command me but He also equips me so I can do what He commands.

It also means that by God's grace I will blossom in good works. John 15:1-8 talks about the description between true converts and false converts. False converts are cut off and burned. True converts are subjected to continuous pruning because they bear fruit. God the Father is the one who trims the branches. Jesus is the vine in the Christian life. I can do nothing for God apart from Jesus. It's through Him that I can do the will of the Father. Trimming the branches happen because God knows I can endure it. The false branches can't endure the trimming. The real branches can endure the trimming. When I sin I can't enjoy it. Hebrews 12:5-7 says that true converts will endure chastising. God spanks His children because they are His children. If they weren't His adopted children He wouldn't do so. But they are His and He knows they can endure chastising. How can I even live in sin and enjoy it if God Himself loves me so much to let me enjoy what can harm me?

If I ever try to do external reformation I'm just bound to failure. Reformation starts from within and it works itself out. That's what Philippians 2:12-13 says. I've got to work out my salvation. It's God that works in me. What it means to complete my salvation by working it out is not that I can lose it. Instead, it means that to work it out means the process of sanctification. I'm settled for Heaven but not's the end of the story. This fear and trembling is reverential fear. It works itself out by God's grace. I can do nothing more than to continuously humble myself and submit myself to His working power. It's for His goodwill and pleasure that I work out my salvation. It's through His grace that I can rely on as I do what He commands. By myself I am powerless except by His grace and it's only by Him that I'm set free from a life of sin (Philippians 4:11).

See also: