Am I Focused on Jesus Instead of My Troubles?

As the New Year just started a few days ago and today is the First Friday of the Month of 2018, I think about one thing that I'm having right now. I still struggle with how often I'm looking at the waves instead of Jesus. With the flesh, it's very easy to get tempted to think of how strong the waves are because I see it and how easy it is to ignore Jesus because I can't see him.

We can read in Matthew 14:22-33 where Peter tried to walk on water. The scene of the storm was something. Peter tried to walk on the water and found himself to be looking at the waves. Peter's fear was there instead of faith. He ended up sinking instead of walking on water. Peter ended up screaming for help. Jesus saved Peter and rebuked him of how little was the latter's faith. This real incident shows what could happen if I don't focus on Jesus.

There's the real issue that I tend to panic every time things don't go my way. But what I don't realize is that God always has a better plan. Most of the time, not getting what I want is because God has something better than what I want. What I want may not be in accordance to His glory. 1 John 5:14 says that we must pray according to His will. God is not a genie that grants wishes. Rather, He grants wishes only when they're according to His will.

The truth is the Christian life is never free of troubles. Life victorious doesn't mean free of troubles and free of pain. Instead, it's all about triumphing through these obstacles. 2 Corinthians 4:8-11 has the Apostle Paul declaring the truth that there may be trouble on every side but it's not the end. Jesus always warned if you follow Him there will be trouble. I'd be so foolish to pray for a trouble-free life. I follow Jesus. He had a lot of trouble standing for what's right then why should I expect my life to be different? The slave is not greater than one's master (John 13:16, John 15:20).

The Christian life is a risky one. I still can't forget how I read through Foxe's Book of Martyrs and how often I may have whined over the slightest of problems! I have read of how the great Christian martyrs were tortured in the most horrible way. Hebrews 11:35 says that we have martyrs who refused deliverance so they may obtain a better resurrection. In short, they were working for eternity knowing that the eternal rewards far outweigh the world. The one comforting truth is in Matthew 16:18-19 that the gates of Hell can't prevail against the Church. The Roman Empire tried to do destroy it, the Roman Catholic institution masquerading as Christianity tried to destroy it, the Islamic forces tried to destroy it, various cults tried to destroy it, atheist states tried to do it but the Church still stands because Jesus is that Rock (2 Corinthians 10:4).

Also, shouldn't I even be more worried if I'm not suffering for Christ's sake then when I'm living comfortably and suffering because I deserved it? There's a great reward to think about and I have trouble looking at it. It's that Matthew 5:11-12 says that blessed are those who are persecuted falsely and falsely accused because of Jesus. That great reward is eternal compared to the praises of men in the world. What foolishness with how often I displeased my Lord by looking at the storm instead of Him!

See also: