How Often Am I Tempted to Physically Harm Someone Over Mere Insults?

I really think about the time that I'm actually tempted to hurt someone or when I actually have hurt someone more than once over a mere insult. What does the Bible have to say about insults? 

Here's a video of what it means to turn the other cheek. When Jesus said if somebody slaps me on one cheek then turn the other. It doesn't mean to put myself in mortal danger. Instead, it's all about insults. A slap in the hand usually meant to signify an insult. When I say that it was a slap on my face - it meant it was an insult to me. What does it mean? It means that I should avoid getting into fights just because of what somebody said. True, the tongue has to be tamed but the problem is when people use violence to answer anything except for self-defense. 

I remembered the poor excuse I came up with that so and so was being mean to me. Well, was the incident even worth a hit? It was all because somebody insulted me that I decided to hurt said person physically. I said my whole ego was threatened and that insult could have caused me health problems. Yes, my ego was threatened but my physical welfare wasn't. So why did I even get into a fight because somebody called me a name? Why did I get into a fight because of a mere insult as if it's even life-threatening?

Hurting the person back over a mere insult is an even bigger offense because revenge never sets anything right. It can be understood if I hit back in a physical confrontation but there was no physical confrontation done. The other person was wrong to insult me but that doesn't make me right to hit somebody back except in the act of self-defense. I remembered getting so mad at the teacher for trying to reason out with me that it doesn't work and that murdering the other person will never solve anything. It was whole hour or two argument because I really wanted to end that person's life for a mere insult. Two wrongs never make a right no matter how much I tried to argue my way out of it.

It's true insults do it but it's up to me to brush it off because I wasn't harmed physically. It's not like as if I severely injured that I would have the right to collect damages from the offender. My feelings were hurt but not my physical well-being. It would be different if it landed as emotional abuse such as abusive implementation of one's authority. It was just a mere insult so why am I letting it get me my whole life? Why am I getting into a fight all because somebody called me a name? Why am I wanting to even murder the person for a tiny offense? Then I'm reminded of God's longsuffering that He didn't immediately cast judgment at people until the cup of His wrath was indeed full. 

Instead, shouldn't I be loving to them and be praying for them? Shouldn't I show love and compassion to people who don't know better? Shouldn't I bless those who curse me instead of returning curse for curse? That's what I always ask myself whenever I'm tempted to physically harm someone over mere insults. 

See also: