Reflection on Jesus' Call for Me to Be Holy By God's Grace

As the Holy Week begins and it's certainly one of the most hypocritical times of the year. There's nothing "holy" about it if people just use it as a momentary retreat from sin and they go back to sinful living on Easter Sunday. Now I'd like to reflect on the whole reason why Jesus died on the cross for my sins. It's not only because I can't pay for my salvation but it's also because He died for my sins so I can be delivered from a lifestyle of sin.

Do I claim to have any holiness apart from Christ? I refuse to claim so. But He's given me the command to be holy. There's the call to be holy because I'm saved. Here's what the Bible says about holiness:
1 Peter 1:15-16 
But as He which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; because it is written, Be ye holy; for I Am holy.

The whole Christian life is focused on holiness. God is too holy to allow anyone He has saved to remain the same. He wouldn't leave the person the same but instead He chooses to use His grace to give that person holiness. Whom He saves He sanctifies to fit to His holy nature.
Romans 3:31
Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.
1 Corinthians 6:9-11 
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
Ephesians 2:8-10  
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Titus 2:11-14 
For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto Himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

People can say that salvation is by faith alone. But here's the truth: salvation is by faith that is not dead but alive. This faith isn't alone but it produces good works as a result of it. Do you know that faith without works is dead? 
James 2:14-20 
What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, and one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

This is because I have been imputed with holiness. This holiness is something that is worked out of me with fear and trembling. Here's what the Bible says about working out one's salvation with fear and trembling:
Philippians 2:12-13 
Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

In truth, this is the fear and trembling of God's holiness that I have no reason to believe anybody can be saved and never change. I even wonder did I deserve salvation and why did I even get saved? I don't deserve any forgiveness and I only deserve wrath. An encounter with God's holiness showing me my sinfulness is a horrifying thought. The thought of having been saved when I don't deserve it makes me want to grow more and more in holiness. Yet I can't do it onl my own so God's grace is there when I need it. I can't pursue true holiness outside the grace of God because only God is holy and I'm only holy because of imputation.

See also: