I'm Forever Grateful for the Doctrine of Election?

I always had a struggle with the doctrine of unconditional election. I tried to resist it for years but as I read my Bible - I always saw that Jesus chose the apostles and not the other way around. I can't even see Saul choosing Jesus - it was Jesus who chose Saul. It has me thinking of this lyrics of the song that really teach the doctrine of election.
[Verse:]
You did not wait for me to draw nigh to You, 
but You clothed Yourself in frail humanity. 
You did not wait for me to cry out to You, 
but You let me hear Your voice calling me. 
[Chorus:] 
And I'm forever grateful, Lord, to You. 
And I'm forever grateful for the cross. 
And I'm forever grateful to You, 
that You came to seek and save the lost. 
[Ending:] 
That You came to seek and save the lost. 
[repeat as desired]

It's those words that make me think of this one. Is it that Jesus didn't wait for me and He instead called for me instead? I have done nothing to merit His favor. This is where God the Father draws the people whom He chooses unto His Son (John 6:44). The truth is that Christians are only called to evangelize and it's God that does the work. There's the statement that Charles H. Spurgeon emphasized that how would we know who is Elect and who isn't until we go out soulwinning?

See also: