I'm Taking Short Breaks Reading John Gill's Exposition

I gave a thought on reading commentaries to help me understand the Scriptures. Matthew Henry was already a challenge. John Gill is an even greater challenge especially with very long expositions. Reading through Psalm 119's exposition is the hardest. I had to really read it for three days before I could fully read it properly. The challenge was momentarily over then getting through later books of the Bible has been hard. 

Now I'm in the Book of Acts and I'm almost done reading it but there's still Romans to Revelation. There are many long chapters in the Bible that I end up reading just one chapter per day if one chapter is that long. But there are times I want to push myself to read more because the exposition is just so beautifully written. Gill's commentary is a wealth full of information. But I must chew through my spiritual food rather nice and slow in order to understand the wealth of information that Gill's commentary provides for the Christian reader.

There are times I decide not to read the commentary for a day or two and decide to read through the daily Bible reading plan assigned for the day. But I just can't wait to read the commentary even if my mind can't process all that information. The wealth of the exposition makes me think that every serious preacher must try to read through it at least once. I may not agree with everything Gill says but I can't deny that it's a really exciting experience to read through such a wonderful commentary. 

See also: