Slowing Down My Reading of John Gill's Commentary to One to Two Chapters a Day?

I'm already in reading the New Testament exposition on John Gill. What I admit is that reading the commentary has been no walk in the park. I read through Matthew Henry's commentary a few years ago and it's not much of a challenge. This time, Gill's commentary can be very long and tedious. To read without reflecting is to eat without digesting. That's how I felt when I decided to speed read the long expositions by Gill which contain a lot of meaningful insight. If I shouldn't be speed reading the Scriptures then what makes me think I should speed read any exposition?

It's pretty much like eating a delicious meal. If you eat too fast then you can't savor the meal. Eating a meal in a moderate pace helps one appreciate the meal. That's what I feel about Gill's commentary for my spiritual nourishment. I can't enjoy it if I read it too fast. I should take my time to savor the delicious servings of a Scriptural exposition and read it at a moderate pace.

See also: