My Thoughts on Why Jesus Gave Satan Permission to Sift Peter Like Wheat
Luke 22:30-34
30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: 32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren. 33 And he said unto Him, Lord, I am ready to go with thee, both into prison, and to death. 34 And He said, I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me.
We can read Peter's denial in Matthew 26:69-74, Mark 14:66-72, Luke 22:55-62, and John 18:15-18, 25–27. Mark's account says that the rooster crowed twice which probably was a warning to Peter about his pride. By the time the crow crowed twice, Peter already denied Jesus thrice. What can be read is the simple fact that Peter followed Jesus up to the courtyard. The illegal trial of Jesus was now held. Now, Peter was in the fire and people started pointing to him as a follower of Jesus. I believe Satan was somewhat directly involved in this event. After all, Satan did ask permission to sift the eleven who were saved like they were wheat. The disciples fell asleep instead of praying. Peter was in no better condition. Peter was now relying on his flesh ruled with fear and weakness than the grace of God. I think Satan probably influenced the crowd there to harass Peter. I can't imagine how Satan must've laughed while Peter denied Jesus thrice. After this, Peter wept bitterly.
Satan probably doesn't see is that God has a purpose in his evil. Remember the character of Job? Satan had to ask God for permission to hurt Job in Job 1. Satan himself now has God's permission to sift the truly saved disciples like wheat. Judas Iscariot the false convert was just the start. Satan has permission to do so with Peter at this point. I think of the words Jesus said to Peter, "But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren." This really makes me think about it that Jesus was already telling Peter that not only has he granted Satan permission but there's a purpose behind it. The ESV renders it as "but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers." Peter was already converted so I think the context of the KJV talks about conversion here not for salvation but also for to change from one form to another. This was talking about conversion to sanctification. I think the term "turned again" is more accurate since the word "convert" doesn't only mean to have a change of beliefs such as converting to Christianity. Peter's conversion here was a conversion of his character or the result of his conversion to Christ. Peter still couldn't be used as long as he was full of pride. That's why I think Jesus allowed Satan to hurt Peter so badly.
After Peter realized what he did, he wept bitterly. Peter was now crying over his failure. We can see that Peter, a man full of self-confidence, is now a man weeping bitterly. It looked like Satan had won but he didn't. Satan was probably dancing with joy when Peter fell. Peter wasn't even there at the foot of the cross. Later, we read that Peter and his disciples went fishing. You can imagine how scandalous it is that the first pastor of the Church went fishing with his fellow pastors. Can you imagine a pastor closing his church and going fishing? John 21 records Peter's now different attitude. Peter was now about to be restored to backsliding. John 21 has Peter and his disciples called back and reminded that the fish business was closed and their church was to open. Peter was really getting ready to be restored to the pastorate and preach his sermon after Jesus' ascension 40 days after the resurrection.
I still think of these words from John 21:15-18 which could probably summarize why Jesus allowed Satan to hurt Peter:
15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou Me more than these? He saith unto Him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. 16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou Me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. 17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou Me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep. 18 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdest thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.
I would really want to imagine this is what happened. Satan thought he had the last laugh when Peter failed. Yet, Jesus had a beautiful purpose in Peter's failure. The resurrected Jesus appeared to restore the pastors who went fishing back to the pastorate to fish for men once more. Peter was now talked again by Jesus because he was the first appointed pastor. Jesus asked Peter thrice the question of his true love. Peter was grieved because of his failure. Jesus knew what was in Peter's heart. Peter still had to know what was in his heart. We can see Peter was grieved and now a humble man after the incident with Satan. Do you remember how Job was humbled after Satan was allowed to hurt him? The same happened to Peter because Satan was given permission to hurt him. If Peter wasn't allowed to be hurt by Satan then he would've been proud and useless. Instead, the incident with Satan sifting him like wheat drastically made Peter be humble and a man ready to serve the pulpit. Peter ended up relying more on God than himself after this incident. Besides, Peter's humility was revealed in Acts 15 when he acknowledged his mistake and accepted friendly rebuke from Paul for his error. Later, Peter allowed himself to be crucified downward (as said by the historian Eusebius) feeling he wasn't worthy to die like his Lord Jesus.
See also:
