I Can't Count the Number of Times I've Sinned With My Mouth

One of the biggest areas where I believe I need to control is my mouth. Sadly, this is the fallen state of humanity that nothing in the human body isn't tainted with sin. It's possible you are complaining or that I'm complaining about someone backbiting about me while I backbite them. That's the plain double standard of sinful humanity, isn't it?

I thought about it that how many times have I sinned with my mouth? Truth is I don't know and only God knows. How many times must God punish me for it? I would say as many times as needed until I get my mouth cleaned. If there's anything that should be very true about the mouth - it's filthy! It reminds me of the scene in Isaiah 6:4-6 where Isaiah saw himself as nothing but unclean. Before God, I can only see my filthy mouth that needs to be cleaned. I can only see myself as a dishonest person outside the grace of God. Every time I read the Bible - I can only myself reminded that my old self is still fond of lying (because there's nothing good about me) while the new me wants to stop being a liar for good. 

There is the blessed assurance that I can have with my weaknesses. God is faithful to chastise and set those who are His at the right path. Hebrews 125-7 says that whom God loves that He would chastise. I would say that God has every right to chastise me for every idle word. The tongue no man can tame so how can I tame it? By the grace of God. Isaiah experienced the chastising of God for his dirty mouth. I have every right to ask God to continuously chastise me and lead me to the right path to keep my mouth shut when I need to!

I really can't help but think every now and then how many times did I say things I didn't really mean at all because I was angry. It reminded me of how I once said I'd make a deal with Satan to see someone suffer and die - only to find out God had every right to chastise me until I knelt for forgiveness. How many times have I threatened to murder someone because I was mad that God had every right to chastise me? I can't count it. I say things I don't mean or say things I shouldn't and it only gets worse if I don't trust God's grace to hold me still. It's like Peter who ended up denying Christ because of his confidence in the flesh. My confidence in my own flesh will only make my fallen fleshly tongue spew out things I should trust God to bridle my tongue - not myself!

As the Psalmist David said in Psalm 39:9 that God made him silent before the wicked. This is the prayer that I must pray. I can't expect my imperfect self to help me cope up with my imperfection. If I ever held my tongue then it's God's grace. If I ever sinned with my mouth then it's because I failed to ask God for His grace.