My Stressful Experience with Debating with Amateur and/or Self-Proclaimed Catholic Faith Defenders

I don't deny that some Catholic apologists are sincere, polite and they defend their stand as professionally as possible. I've seen some of them have a constructive conversation with the likes of Dr. James White or Walter Martin. I could remember how Mitch Pacwa a Jesuit priest displayed so much dignity in defending his error against Walter Martin who professionally defended the truth in the John Ankberberg Show. I've also seen how some Roman Catholic apologists had a constructive conversation with Dr. White.

Unfortunately, this isn't always the case. I've already ran across amateur and/or self-proclaimed Catholic faith defenders. Why do I say amateur? Dr. Taylor Marshall a Catholic apologist had in not getting emotional and sticking on topic. But these self-proclaimed Catholic faith defenders only keep showing their rotten fruit so easily by getting emotional, using red herrings (which isn't sticking on topic), Ad Hominems and strawman attacks in order to win.

I admit, it's not been easy arguing with them. This would really show how it's a waste of time to try and present one's case when the other side isn't listening. Instead of sticking on topic, they present cases like crazy pastors and claim I'm on the side of said people. They're inserting assumptions and only use mockery. In short, they couldn't even defend on what they believe. Worse, they don't even do real research or deny even more obvious facts such as Pope Francis' embracing other world religions. 

With this in mind, I thought about what 1 Timothy 6:20 says is to avoid profane babbling. In short, never argue with a fool. Proverbs 226:4-5 says not to answer a fool according to their foolishness or you become like them and the other says answer a fool according to his folly or he will be wise in his own conceit. In short, if you have to answer a fool, expose their foolishness by not stepping down to their level. Challenge it if you have to sometimes it's best not to keep a conversation with someone who's wise in their own eyes.

This is the drawing line of having a constructive debate is made. It's wise to choose who one has a debate with. Is the person scholarly and polite? Is the person someone known to defend his or her stand without making a fool out of one's self? Those self-proclaimed and/or amateur Catholic faith defenders aren't worth my time. If I'm to have a discussion about Catholic vs. Evangelical beliefs then I would choose Catholic apologists who are known to be very professional in defending their stand. 

See also: