Am I a Cheerful Giver?
It's the first Sunday of the year and I think about is the topic of giving. Am I a cheerful giver or do I give my tithes and offerings without a cheerful heart? This is something that I thought about the relation of law and grace in the Christian life. Being under grace is not a nullification of the Law. Rather, faith establishes the Law (Romans 3:31). And one of them is on giving.
I remembered reading through the Old Testament laws on giving. One of the most controversial subjects is tithing because the Old Testament covenant. The New Testament is very silent on tithing. Some argue that tithing was ceremonial law and not moral law. Nowhere in the Ten Commandments are we commanded to tithe. Some use Malachi 3:10-11 to justify tithing. Personally, I do believe in tithing as a way to discipline Christian spending but not tithing as the prosperity gospel teaches it.
I remembered reading through the Old Testament laws on giving. One of the most controversial subjects is tithing because the Old Testament covenant. The New Testament is very silent on tithing. Some argue that tithing was ceremonial law and not moral law. Nowhere in the Ten Commandments are we commanded to tithe. Some use Malachi 3:10-11 to justify tithing. Personally, I do believe in tithing as a way to discipline Christian spending but not tithing as the prosperity gospel teaches it.
So how should Christians view tithes and offerings now that they're no longer under the Law but grace? It would move from learning right and wrong (Galatians 3:24-25) to being under Christ. In short, this is no longer under the pressure or condemnation of the Law but love for God which directs people to follow His Law. The Law is the delight of the saved person. For the New Testament, we are now into the next stage of tithes and offerings called cheerful giving (2 Corinthians 9:7). If God gave His only Son to die for sins (Romans 8:32) then why be so selfish in giving?
I think about reading through Malachi 3:10-11 and reflect it on 2 Corinthians 9:7. Do I think that tithing is a burden or a delight? Do I think parting with 10% of my income is a burden or do I give my 10% because I love the LORD? Do I get more from my 90% out of obligation or because I love the LORD? Then I think about the first fruits and giving for church projects. It's a burden to let go of my first paycheck for the month or do I want to give it out of gratitude? If so, then it isn't a love giving at all because without love - all tithes and offerings mean nothing.
I think about how the flesh doesn't want to give liberally for God's cause but the Spirit drives me to. It's an onward struggle as my flesh isn't a cheerful giver. There are times I think I may have been too reckless and generous with my giving. Sometimes, I feel like I'm letting people abuse me and I'm not setting any limits which isn't right. But the question right now is am I a cheerful giver even when I exercise prudence not to give too much to the point I can't support myself so I can give God even more for the years to come?
I think about how the flesh doesn't want to give liberally for God's cause but the Spirit drives me to. It's an onward struggle as my flesh isn't a cheerful giver. There are times I think I may have been too reckless and generous with my giving. Sometimes, I feel like I'm letting people abuse me and I'm not setting any limits which isn't right. But the question right now is am I a cheerful giver even when I exercise prudence not to give too much to the point I can't support myself so I can give God even more for the years to come?