Thank God I Don't Believe in Santa Claus Anymore

Since today is the traditional feast day of Nicholas of Myra for Roman Catholics, I thought I might as well write about my broken, never to be restored faith in Santa Claus. Yes, I did believe in Santa Claus before as a former Roman Catholic. I always got mad whenever I was told that there is NO Santa Claus. It took me a long time to accept it. Now I would like to talk about my broken faith in Santa Claus.

I remembered back when I was lied to by my elders. I was told that I were good all year then Santa Claus would come and give me a gift. I just needed to write to him and be good and I can get any material item. At the same time, I was told that I should be happy about Christmas because it is the birthday of Jesus (HUH?!) and not because Santa Claus was coming to town. But how can I even think about Jesus when all I could think was a jolly old man who could enter locked doors if there was no chimney? How could I think about Jesus if I spent the whole year looking forward to Santa Claus giving me a present?

This was a really hard time to think about especially there's one hard truth. Children who are lied about Santa Claus take it seriously. There is no place for Santa Claus in the growing up years. Proverbs 22:6 says that you should train up a child the way he or she should go. Does that verse sound like there's any place for Santa Claus? No. I don't see it but that's how I was raised anyway until they decided to break the cold, hard truth that there's no Santa Claus. For me, I looked at Santa Claus as someone who could rescue me. Whenever I had problems I wish Christmas were coming soon because Santa Claus is coming. Nobody thought of the vulnerability of a child and the only reason why I got defensive was to defend my elders. For the child, whatever their parents tell them is the truth and the worst part is promising you'd never lie while lying. 

This faith in Santa Claus got shattered through and through. I soon remembered it was past Christmas when I read an article from a Roman Catholic publication called "No Virginia, There is No Santa Claus." and "Clausmas or Christmas" from a Catholic devotional. While that happened, I was already losing my faith in "Mama Mary". My life was getting more chaotic because of my unsaved folks. I thought about how I soon just cried in private insisting Santa Claus is real. I cried whenever I was told there was no Santa Claus because I had faith in a false hope. I placed my faith in a completely imaginary person that Satan cooked up to distract people from Jesus. I got so mad I just didn't want to listen to anybody who told me Santa Claus was real.

I found myself getting fond of my old English teacher. When she gave her message that there's no Santa Claus the more I grew fond of her. At first, I didn't like her too much but the more I talked about her with it, the more I got mad at people who lied to me about Santa Claus. I just started losing faith in God. I thought becoming an atheist was the best way to go. I stopped going to Sunday Mass because it meant nothing. I got so mad that I threw a piece of stone at the "Mama Mary" because the idol wouldn't help me. Christmas wasn't so exciting anymore because of the truth that there's no Santa Claus. I just felt like should I become an atheist? While I was about to become an atheist or even consider Buddhism or Islam - I grew fond of a pastor who made more sense than any Roman Catholic priest. I believe God sent him preparing me for my eventual effectual calling which I can't remember the exact date.

All I can say is that while I do remember the excitement I used to have when I thought Santa Claus was real but it means nothing now. The Santa Claus deception as something that should be hammered to pieces or burnt in the fire. Why should parents lie about Santa Claus insisting it's just a "harmless white lie" while getting mad at their children for doing the same? If you want your children to tell you the truth all the time then there's no room for Santa Claus lies either. I'm just glad that I don't believe in Santa Claus anymore. There's no room for Santa Claus and it's not just Christmas but the whole year round.

If there's any person who can be more wonderful than Santa Claus it's not parents who lie about him. It's all about the Lord Jesus Christ for the whole year round. The Lord Jesus Christ will be infinitely be better than Santa Claus. He's a whole year round Savior. I don't need to fall in line to see Him. All I need to do is pray and wait. There's no false promises from the Lord Jesus while Santa Claus is nothing but a false promise. I have no reason to even teach people about Santa Claus because it is just a big fat lie. 

See also: