I Could Care Less About a Festive Christmas

As I grow older, I could care less about a festive Christmas. I think about how much I have the tendency to hate Christmas because of all the unruly people, crowded malls, traffic... you know it! Yet Christmas has one thing that has come to my mind - the fulfillment of the prophecies of Isaiah 7:14 and 9:6-7. I could agree that Jesus wasn't born on December 25 yet couldn't I use a certain date to give more emphasis on the incarnation of Jesus Christ?

There's one truth that I could think about Christmas. No Christmas or the Incarnation of Christ then there would be no Calvary. Matthew 1:21 has declared that Jesus will save His people from their sins. He had to be born like every human child, grow up like every human child and live a perfect life so He could pay for the sins of mankind. 2 Corinthians 5:21 says that the one who knew no sin became the sin sacrifice of the world.

Every Christmas, I think about one thing. We've all been naughty. Nobody's been nice by God's standard. Romans 3:10-19 and James 2:10-11 say that you have broken one rule - you have broken them all. Jesus put on flesh, getting born of the virgin birth - these were all done because man isn't basically good. Christmas is not about the natural goodness of man but the fallen state of man and their need for a Savior. Jesus' birth was necessary so He could later die for the sins of mankind. It was something needed to pay for the sins of mankind.

I also think about how the first Christmas (though it wasn't on December 25 and no one knows the actual date) was anything but festive for Jesus. His earthly mother and earthly stepfather found no room for them. There was no room for the inn and no crib for a bed (Luke 2:7). It must have been a great discomfort for Mary and Joseph to be in a stable. It must have been very smelly. Talk about how the Son of God voluntarily put on human flesh, left his glory above, He was born in a stable and He was born so He could later be crucified for the sins of mankind.

I think about Jesus' birth in a stable, the plight of not having found room in an inn and how terrible it must have been. There was no party for Mary and Joseph. The angels announced the birth not to nobles but to shepherds. There was no nationwide feast for Jesus. The Magi didn't come until Jesus was already a young child (Matthew 2:9). It wasn't a festive day for the Earth. Later, Herod the Great even planned to kill the young child fearing someone would steal his throne. That doesn't sound so merry, doesn't it?

Thinking about how much Jesus gave up so I could be set free makes me think why should I care about a festive Christmas? He was born so one day He could pay for the sins of mankind. Talk about how Jesus didn't come as a prince but a pauper. He came not in royal robes but to be in a carpenter's home. Later, he would wear a crown of thorns before He would wear a crown of gold. He entered Jerusalem in a donkey and not on a royal horse. He did all of this so I can attain true riches not on Earth but on Heaven.

How often have I been so selfish during the past Christmases? I only thought of the toys as a child but not about the ones who came. I only thought of myself never mind Jesus left everything from up above. Now, the more I get to know the Savior the more I want to think about what He lost so He could gain salvation for all who believe.

See also: