The First Time I Read Foxe's Book of Martyrs

The Foxe's Book of Martyrs is one book that sent chills to my spine while reading it. I could read of many ways that Christianity has been persecuted. There were several ways that tortures were done. Fortunately, none of the methods were described in detail or I don't know if I could ever finish reading the book. The book spoke of how Christians were tortured in various ways especially with details about the Roman Catholic institution's use of the Inquisition.

The Bible says in Hebrews 11:35-38: 
Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection: And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment: they were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; (of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.

The apostles weren't living glamorously. Peter wasn't having a worldwide audience. The Book of Acts shows us how being a Christian means you're going to get yourself into trouble. The Church was persecuted throughout its expansion. The prophets of the Old Testament weren't living glamorously either. Jeremiah even wanted to quit at one point (Jeremiah 20:5). Christians wouldn't be exempted from these trials. In fact, there will always be persecution.

Reading the book may discourage me at times but it also encourages me. The more I read it the more it makes sense why Christianity is hated. Jesus already warned in John 15:18-19 that Christians are not of this world. James 4:4 says Christians aren't friends of this world. Friendship with the world means enmity with God. If I'm reconciled to God who was once my enemy then I've become an enemy of the world which was once my friend. I can't be faithful and popular at the same time - I must take my pick.

This also teaches me to be forgiving. The persecuted kept praying for their persecutors. Any persecution I received is nothing compared to what the martyrs went through. The Reformers were usually not so lucky. Reading through their life of persecution made me think that mockeries I receive are nothing compared to the tortures they received. If they could forgive their tormentors by God's grace then I see no reason not to forgive mine by God's grace.

See also: