I'm a Slave of My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ

I remembered reading the book "Slave: The Hidden Truth About Your Identity in Christ" by Pastor John F. MacArthur. It has been one of the best expositions that I have read on the word "doulos". While I use the King James Bible for my Bible study what I have noticed is that the Strong's Concordance or other commentaries refer to servant in the New Testament with the Greek word "doulos" which means slave. 

Why has the word "doulos" been translated into servant when it really means slave? I would believe that the word slave really invokes a negative imagery. A person who is called a slave driver is noted for someone who is unreasonable towards one's subordinates. The word slave may show someone who works without pay. It also gives the mind of human trafficking. But most people do not realize what this slavery or doulos is during biblical times. The Bible actually endorses a different type of slavery that does not match what people tend to think about the word slave.

Biblical slavery is much different than the slave trade we keep reading about in our history books. This was for the benefit of people who were so poor. The masters were told to provide for their slaves. In turn, some slaves will become forever loyal to their masters. The distinction is that "doulos" are owned servants or slaves. A servant is not necessarily a doulos or one who is owned by the master. A slave or doulos is owned by their master. In turn, every master must treat their slaves with uttermost respect and with care.

The Old Testament has this rules concerning slavery which all of these verses have slave translated into servant:
  • Exodus 21:20 would be the department social welfare and development rule against mistreating slaves.
  • Exodus 23:12 gave the household servant a day off whenever it was the Sabbath.
  • Leviticus 19:20 prohibits anyone from having sex with another man's slave.
  • Leviticus 25:39-43 says that a slave is to be released on the seventh year unless he/she loves their master and they are to be marked.
  • Deuteronomy 23:15 has the law that forbids chasing and returning escaped slaves.
  • Proverbs 29:21 encourages to treat household helpers well.
  • Proverbs 30:10 makes it a crime to slander one's household servant.

So why do I think it's privileged that I am a slave of Christ? Here's what Pastor MacArthur has to say about the matter:
With a Heavenly Master who gave you what you do not deserve that is the free gift of salvation, with He who gave His only begotten Son to take your place, He who keeps you forever His own with real assurance and security, and give you a place in Heaven even while you live, who doesn't want to be the slave of that kind of a Master?

My favorite illustration is how a rich man bought a slave to set that person free. When that person says, "Slave, you are free to go. I bought you to free you." The slave doesn't go away but instead says, "My master how may I serve you?"  Jesus represents he rich man and the slave the sinner. Jesus came to seek and save the lost. He came first to them with divine initiative. Without that divine initiative I don't think I'd ever even become a willing slave of Christ. I was once lost in sin but Jesus saved me from the power of sin. Sin was my cruel master but Jesus is my good Master. The fact He purchased me when I am just another wretched sinner makes me want to serve such a Master. 

There are also times slaves were better off than free men who were living in poverty. God's law requires slaves to be treated well by their masters. God's version of slavery doesn't condone to human trafficking but it was more or less giving one's service because of extreme poverty. The free man who is poor is a slave to poverty. That person may not even have a roof to sleep in compared to the slave owned by a kind master. The slave who is owned by a kind master will get their needs met which also includes their salary. They have work and they have income. They are better off than people who have no masters running in the streets without their needs met and without money to spend for their daily needs. He's both Lord and Savior and not just one without the other. 

The great preacher Charles H. Spurgeon mentioned this about slavery in his 2058th sermon sermon "Eyes Right":
Where our Authorized (King James) Version softly puts it "servant" it really is "bond-slave". The early saints delighted to count themselves Christ's absolute property, bought by Him, owned by Him and wholly at His disposal. Paul even went as far as to rejoice that he had the marks of his Master's brand on him, and he cries, "Let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus." There was the end of all debate: he was the Lord's, and the marks and the scourges, the rods and the stones were the broad-arrow of the King which marked Paul's body as the property of Jesus the Lord. Now if the saints of old time glorified in obeying Christ, I pray that you all and I... may beel that our first object in life is to obey our Lord.

Scottish pastor Alexander Maclaren wrote in his book "Expositions of Holy Scriptures, the Acts" commenting on Acts 4:26-29) in pages 148-149 saying:
The true position, then, from a man is to be God's slave... Absolute submission, unconditional obedience, on the slave's part; and on the part of the Master complete ownership, the right of life and death, the right of disposing of all goods and chattels,... the right of issuing commandments shall be swiftly, unhesitantly, punctiliously, and completely performed - these things inhere to our relation to God. Blessed is the man who has learned that they do, and has accepted them as his highest glory and security of his most beloved life! For, brethren, such submission, absolute and unconditional, the blending and the absorption of my own will in His will, is the secret all that makes manhood glorious and great and happy... In the New Testament these names of slave and owner are transferred to Christians and Jesus Christ. 

As I reflect on my identity as a slave in Christ, it disappoints me to think how Romans 7:14-25 shows that I must still struggle with myself all the time. I have become owned by a glorious Master who will one day give me the best domain when I am called home. I am owned by a glorious Master who gives me His grace to do what He asks me to do. This Master of mine will not suffer me to be in difficulty without a purpose because He wants to see His slave be fruitful and enjoy the Christian life. I am not perfect and I long to be free from sinful desires and from sin even if I no longer live a sinful lifestyle. I still have a long way to go but I am glad that I am a slave of Christ. I am a slave of a Master who truly cares about His slaves and will do anything to see them live the Christian life. 

See also: