I'm Reading John Gill's Commentary on the Book of Psalms

Reading through John Gill's commentary is really no walk in the park and I'm momentarily stuck with his exposition of Psalms. It has been a long difficult process that after reading the Bible cover to cover for the nth time. I wanted to chew on my spiritual food to savor the flavor of the Word of God for the Christian life. My Bible reading has been slow trying to understand verse by verse and chapter by chapter. By God's grace I reached the Book of Psalms and I'm in the 89th chapter.

The struggle isn't easy. Sin and the forces of darkness are working their way. If Satan's not there then it's one of his demons but I take note that I'm my own worst enemy. The flesh is always trying to give me an excuse not to continue the spiritual exercise of reading a thorough Bible exposition. With psalms as the longest book of the Bible I need God's grace to really read through it. Sometimes, I'm stuck with one to two chapters a day if it's going to be a long exposition.

It wouldn't be long until I reach Psalm 119 the longest chapter of the Bible. I can't forget how reading through the the Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible with long chapters required a lot of chewing. I don't expect my continued reading of Gill's exposition to be a walk in the park either. I can only rely on God's grace as I continue to read through this wonderful exposition of the Bible. 

See also: