I'm Currently Reading John Gill's Commentary


I'm not satisfied reading the Bible cover to cover and not getting to understand more of the Hebrew, the Greek and the context. I've already finished Matthew Henry based on Charles H. Spurgeon's advice that every minister must read it carefully at least once. It's now time for me to proceed to chew on harder meat. The John Gill Commentary is a pretty long verse by verse commentary with an exposition of the Greek and Hebrew.

If devotionals were milk and reading the Bible cover the first time was meat, a comprehensive Bible study is tough meat full of tendons. Do you know some of the better tasting meat are chewy and full of tendons? Reading through Gill's commentary means I might be reading through just one to three chapters a day as opposed to me trying to read as much as I can. But slow reading means I'm reflecting on the exposition in such a level.

As someone who loves expository preaching, I would say the whole sermon preparation is no easy task. But it's a labor of love. The pastors love their work so much that they want to make sure that they get to savor more of what expository preaching has to offer. Reading through Gill's diligent commentary is no different. Every verse getting an exposition means there's a lot to study. I don't want to stick to just reading the Bible cover to cover. I want to understand more of it. I don't want to stick to just one sound preacher because there's more than one. God help me finish through this huge commentary!