I Can't Imagine Living in a Rule-Free Society

There's always people who think God's commands are burdensome and that He's a cosmic killjoy. When an atheist admits why they hate God it's because they hate His laws. When you ask people why they hate discipline and having laws, they may tell you it's because they want to live the way they want. It's even worse you have people who want salvation only from the consequences of sin but not from sin itself. These really might be the stupid idea of creating a rule free society.

What they don't realize is this basic truth: God's Law is there for your protection. Ever since sin came into the world, rules had to be created not only to show people they're sinners but because there's the need for order. Romans 3:31 says that the Law is not made void by faith but rather it's established by the Law. Galatians 3:19 shows that the Law teaches us right from wrong. 1 Timothy 1:9 shows that laws were made because of man's sinfulness.

I hate it whenever people say, "I wish I could live in a place without rules." Even the very thought of a place without rules is scary. In a place where there are no rules then there's no place to complain when something bad happens to you. If somebody murdered your loved one, stole from you or whatever offenses may happen then you'd have no right to complain if the place doesn't have rules. But if the place has rules and regulations against offenses then I have every reason to complain because such rules exist. I have every reason to complain against authorities who don't do their jobs. I have every reason to feel free because I don't have to worry about somebody hurting me because there are laws against it.

In my case, I'm not under law but under grace. When people are saved, they follow the law because they want to follow it. Before, it's a burden especially when I can asked something like, "Thou shalt not kill, why not?" But this Law is the schoolmaster that soon made me say, "I get it! God's Law is for our protection." I may not be able to do everything I want but I can definitely want to do everything God commands me to do.