I Have Not One Reason to Congratulate Myself

The quote above by Charles H. Spurgeon reminds me of what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 15:10, "But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me."

It's the grace of God at work in me. Ephesians 2:8-10 and Titus 2:11-14 states that it's by God's grace that good works happen in the believer. That means I have zero right to even credit myself for any changes that happen. In every Christian, the grace of God means that even the inevitable changed life is the result of God's grace. 

Many people in the world today think too highly of themselves. Do they do their works for God or for themselves? When people do works for themselves or for image then it's a dead work. The good works of the believer is because of God's ever perfect grace. Philippians 2:12-13 states that it's God's work that makes the believer work out their salvation in fear and trembling. It's working out and not working on and it's God's grace in the believer.

Did I even deserve salvation from sin and forgiveness? I don't deserve it because I was a dirty rotten sinner. Sinners deserve nothing but Hell. But God in His mercy sent His Son to pay for the penalty of sins. Salvation from sin and a changed life rely on God's mercy and grace. When the saved life comes in then it's the grace of God at work.

Soli Deo Gloria or Glory to God Alone!